Sunday, September 11, 2016

Cathedral of Saint Mary of Burgos

The Burgos Cathedral is said to be one of the best in Spain. It was only the third I've seen, but so far, it definitely is the best one in my book! It's a primarily Gothic cathedral, but with strong Baroque influence in the chapels, and construction began in 1221.
There were audio guides which offered great information on it and its construction, but just taking it all in was truly breathtaking.








 It's true, there's no way to really capture the beauty of such an amazing place on camera.
Though I'm not quite sure why, I do think that the ceilings of all the cathedrals and churches I've been to have been the most impressive.

4 comments:

  1. That altar piece is really ornate. And I haven't seen many cathedrals with stained glass ceilings--that's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? I wonder how they can keep the ceilings so clean!

      Delete
  2. Nice photos! The ceilings are amazing. Aside from the obvious architecture needs of arches and such, it fills the purpose of drawing the eye heavenward. It is also interesting to me that even though so much of architecture across Europe is similar, these churches have a definite Spanish feel to them. Is it the Retablos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and the Mozarabe architecture- those kind of horseshoe arches are an Arabic influence. The gold working is also pretty distinct from other stuff I've seen.

      Delete