Saturday, April 13, 2019

Tenerife

Growing up I always loved puzzle games. Watching Chris and Alicia go through the Myst series and trying to help any way I could (I probably just distracted them), and then later playing the whole series myself, I came to really love the world(s) (ages?) in the games. Well this past week we went to Tenerife, and I found myself in a place that looked just like them (except maybe fewer poison dart frogs). Tenerife is incredible!

It's famous for microclimates- little pockets of varying temperature, elevation, aridity, sun exposure, etc, due to the extremely rugged landscape. Many of the great naturalists either visited or wanted to visit here, and I can totally understand why.
The whole island is covered in gigantic lizards that get up to 18 inches long
 





The entrance to our Airbnb




Our Airbnb was over 400 years old!


















 After a couple days in the small village of Masca, we got on a bus to Las Aguas. The environment was totally different. Below is a church from a town where we transferred buses. Here it was coniferous forest on one side and desert shrubs on the other, whereas we'd just come from a tropical paradise.

Here you can clearly see a distinct line where the desert shrubs turn to coniferous forest.
And this is all so different from the town we stayed in!

When we finally made it to Las Aguas, we were in another different environment. The ocean was incredible though! It was extremely powerful with monstrous waves crashing onto giant black boulders. It really felt like a different world we were in. We didn't see another soul the whole time we were on the boulder beach and it felt like we were on an alien planet. The ocean sounded like thunder with each wave since the giant stones were rolling over each other and we kept thinking lightning had struck nearby.














This is probably one of my all time favorite places I have ever been. I would put it as a "must visit" for anyone who gets the chance. 

One last picture of a giant lizard with a big blue throat-- I'd put this one around 15 inches if I had to guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment