Saturday, April 13, 2019

School

I've really enjoyed teaching English this past semester! It's been really fun to work with 4th graders in Camarma de Esteruelas. Here's a typical day:
I get up at about 7:30 and am out the door around 8:20. We walk to the bus stop and catch the bus around 8:45, then arrive at school around 9:10. I work with three different teachers in five class rooms. There are 6 periods a day, and I'll usually teach the class for 1-2 of those. With one teacher, I'm more of a TA, helping and answering questions. Another one has me teach the class every time I'm there, and the last one usually has me either teach the class or talk with the kids in pairs in the hallway, to practice their speaking. I really love it, and especially like the variety of getting to do different things with each period. After the first three periods, we go to a little lunch for 30 minutes with the other teachers, while the students have recess. Every day I have a cup of pineapple juice, usually a big slice of a sub sandwich, and a couple oranges. We have three more periods, then catch the bus at 2 pm and are home by 3.

Not every day has been the same old routine though. This past week we had a Roman day. All the kids came dressed up like ancient romans and we had a field day with activities and treats and movies. I was given a costume like a Roman Emperor, and before any of the kids could talk to me they had to say "Ave Caesar, qui morituri te salutant" (Hail Caesar, those who die salute you). I was in charge of a matching game, but got to watch piggy back relay races, raps about romans, bridge building with shoeboxes, and I got to eat a little bit of popcorn during the movies.

Left to Right: Me, Olga*, Jose*, Javier, Ana, Noelia*
*One of the teachers I work with


No comments:

Post a Comment